Main contents start here
News Bulletin September 26, 2016
September 26, 2016
2016 Survey on Time Use and Leisure Activities
The Survey on Time Use and Leisure Activities has been conducted every five years since 1976, and the 9th survey will be conducted on October 20, 2016.
The survey aims to obtain comprehensive data on citizens' time allocation and leisure activities in order to clarify the current status of their lifestyles.
Japan is experiencing a rapid change in lifestyles, with the rapid spread of information and communication technology, change in population structure due to a rapid rise in the average age as the birth rate declines, and gradual change in employment structure and working-time arrangements. Amid this situation, the 2016 survey intends to more accurately perceive the reality of lifestyles, particularly with respect to the following:
- The effects of the spread of information and communication technology on the nation's time use
- The status of gender equality and work-life balance.
The 2016 survey will be conducted as of October 20, 2016. The respondents will be asked to report their time use on two appointed consecutive days during the period from October 15 to 23. The survey covers 200,000 persons aged 10 and above in 88,000 randomly-selected households.
The enumerators will deliver the questionnaires to each survey household and collect the completed questionnaires. Online response is also possible for the 2016 survey.
Topics to be surveyed
The 2016 survey covers the following topics:
- Time use over a single day
- Participation in leisure activities during the past year (learning, volunteer activities, sports, hobbies and amusements, travel and excursion)
- Characteristics of the individuals (employment status etc.)
- Characteristics of the households (type of residence etc.)
Two questionnaires are used to record the time use during a single day: Questionnaire A, which adopts a pre-coding method, and Questionnaire B, which adopts a after-coding method. The after-coding method uses a format that enables the respondent to write answers freely on a questionnaire form as if he/she were writing a diary.
Questionnaire A is used for 83,000 sample households to compile detailed data, including regional data and data on families and types of households. Questionnaire B is used for the remaining 5,000 sample households. It enables a detailed analysis of time spent on housework etc. Furthermore, because it employs the after-coding method, which is used in many countries, international comparisons of time use will be possible.
Release of the results
The survey results will be released between July and December 2017 via the Internet and other media.
August 12 2016
"Survey of Household Economy" (Items Related to Expenditure) (June 2016)
- Summary Results of the June 2016 (final) Survey of Household Economy (Items Related to Expenditure) (Two-or-more-person households)
- Change over the year of Monthly Expenditure per household on Main Items
[Main Items increased in real terms]
- Air conditioners: up 63.7% in nominal terms and 74.7% in real terms
- Vacuum cleaners: up 27.0% in nominal terms and 61.2% in real terms
- Mobile telephone (cell phone, PHS) charges: up 10.4% in nominal terms and 13.3% in real terms
[Main Items decreased in real terms]
- Package tour costs (overseas): down 8.9% in nominal terms and 20.2% in real terms
- Women's one-piece dresses and suits: down 17.5% in nominal terms and 18.8% in real terms
House-related equipping/ construction/ repair costs: down 1.0% in nominal terms and 2.2% in real terms
August 22 2016
"Population Estimates" (August 2016)
- As of August 1, 2016 (Provisional estimates)
- The total population was 127 million, a decrease of 0.14 million (0.11 percent) from the previous year.
- As of March, 2016 (Final estimates (Based on the Preliminary Count of the 2015 Population Census))
- The total population was 126,963 thousand, a decrease of 117 thousand (0.09 percent) from the previous year.
- The population aged 0 to 14 was 16,045 thousand (12.6 percent of the total population).
- The population aged 15 to 64 was 76,645 thousand (60.4 percent of the total population).
- The population aged 65 and over was 34,273 thousand, (27.0 percent of the total population).
Japanese population was 125,215 thousand.
August 23 2016
Unincorporated Enterprise Survey (Trend survey) (April to June 2016)
- The sales per establishment for April-June 2016 decreased by 12.2% in "Manufacturing ", 1.9% in "Wholesale and retail trade", 3.0% in "Accommodations and food services" and 12.9% in "Services", respectively over the previous year (corresponding period).
- The net operating profit per establishment for April-June 2016 increased by 0.3% in "Accommodations and food services" and decreased by 8.9% in "Manufacturing ", 22.9% in "Wholesale and retail trade", and 10.2% in "Services", respectively over the previous year (corresponding period).
August 26 2016
Consumer Price Index (2015-base) (July 2016, Japan / August 2016, Ku-area of Tokyo (preliminary))
- The consumer price index for Japan in July 2016 was 99.6 (2015=100), down 0.2% from the previous month, and down 0.4% over the year.
The consumer price index for Ku-area of Tokyo in August 2016 (preliminary) was 99.6 (2015=100), up 0.1% from the previous month, and down 0.5% over the year.
(Note) We began to release the 2015-base CPI. Please refer to the following URL for brief explanation of 2015-base revision.
"Retail Price Survey" (July 2016, Main Cities (August 2016, Ku-area of Tokyo))
August 29 2016
"Monthly Report on Internal Migration in Japan" (July 2016)
- The number of internal migrants (All nationalities) was 359,735, a decrease of 25,052 (6.5%) from the previous year.
- The number of inter-prefectural migrants (All nationalities) was 161,930, a decrease of 8,721 (5.1%) from the previous year.
- The number of intra-prefectural migrants (All nationalities) was 197,805, a decrease of 16,331 (7.6%) from the previous year.
- The number of internal migrants (Japanese) was 331,762, a decrease of 25,574 (7.2%) from the previous year.
- The number of inter-prefectural migrants (Japanese) was 148,493, a decrease of 9,164 (5.8%) from the previous year.
The number of intra-prefectural migrants (Japanese) was 183,269, a decrease of 16,410 (8.2%) from the previous year.
August 30 2016
Family Income and Expenditure Survey (Two-or-more-person Households: July 2016)
Expenditures for Two-or-more-person Households
The average of monthly consumption expenditures per household for July 2016 was 278,067 yen, down 0.9% in nominal terms and down 0.5% in real terms from the previous year.
Income and Expenditures for Workers' Households
The average of monthly income per household stood at 574,227 yen, down 2.2% in nominal terms and down 1.8% in real terms from the previous year.
The average of consumption expenditures per household was 302,422 yen, down 3.9% in nominal terms and down 3.5% in real terms from the previous year.
"Labour Force Survey (Basic Tabulation)" (July 2016)
- The number of employed persons in July 2016 was 64.79 million, an increase of 980 thousand or 1.5% from the previous year.
- The number of unemployed persons in July 2016 was 2.03 million, a decrease of 190 thousand or 8.6% from the previous year.
The unemployment rate, seasonally adjusted, was 3.0%.
August 31 2016
"Monthly Survey on Service Industries" (June 2016 (preliminary))
- Monthly sales: 28.8 trillion yen, up 0.2 % over the year.
- Demand Situation DI: -1.6 over the year.
- Number of persons working at the Location of Establishment: 28.75 million persons, up 0.3 % over the year.
WHAT' S NEW IN SBJ WEBSITE
- September 9: Statistical Handbook of Japan 2016