Main contents start here
News Bulletin April 20, 2016
April 20, 2016
Preliminary Counts of the 2015 Population Census of Japan released
The Preliminary Counts of the 2015 Population Census of October 1 were released on February 26, 2016.
The Population Census is the most important statistical survey for clarifying the actual state of Japan's population and households. It has been conducted every five years since 1920 and the 20th Survey was conducted in October 2015.
- Population of Japan
The total population of Japan as of October 1, 2015, was 127.11 million. During the 2010-2015 period, the population of Japan declined by 947 thousand (0.7%), or by 189 thousand (0.15%) per year. It declined for the first time since the Population Census was begun in 1920.
- Population by Prefecture
According to the population by prefecture in 2015, the population of Tokyo-to was largest (13.51 million). The total population of the top 9 populated prefectures was 68.47 million, and the total population of these 9 prefectures exceeded half of the total population of Japan (53.9%).
The population of the Tokyo Area, which consists of Tokyo-to, Kanagawa-ken, Saitama-ken and Chiba-ken, was 36.13 million, which accounts for more than a quarter (28.4%) of the population of Japan. The population of the Tokyo Area increased by 510 thousand during the five years.
If we look at the population change rate by prefecture between 2010 and 2015, Okinawa-ken showed the highest population increase rate, followed by Tokyo-to, Aichi-ken etc. In the period between 2010 and 2015, population increased in 8 prefectures and decreased in 39 prefectures. The population of Osaka-fu shifted to a decrease.
The number of households was 53.403 million, which increased by 1.453 million (2.8%) during the 2010-2015 period. The size of household was 2.38 and remained on a decline.
Okinawa-ken showed the highest increase rate of households, followed by Miyagi-ken, Tokyo-to, etc. The number of households increased in 42 prefectures. The number of households declined in 5 prefectures including Kochi-ken, Kagoshima-ken etc.
- Implementation of an online survey on the 2015 Population Census
The 2015 Population Census represents the first time in Japan's history that an online survey of all households in Japan is being conducted.
The number of online responses in the 2015 Population Census was 19,722,062. Calculated on the basis of the preliminary counts of households, the online response rate was 36.9%. The rate of responses using smartphones was 12.7%.
By prefecture, Shiga-ken showed the highest online response rate, which was 47.5%, followed by Toyama-ken, Gifu-ken, Nara-ken, Shizuoka-ken and so on. Online response rates exceeded 40% in 16 prefectures.
- Lectures by U.S. Census Bureau (March 15, 2016)
- Participants of the Training Program by JICA visited Statistics Bureau of Japan (April 6, 2016)
March 11 2016
"Survey of Household Economy" (Items Related to Expenditure) (January 2016)
- Summary Results of the January 2016 (final) Survey of Household Economy (Items Related to Expenditure) (Two-or-more-person households)
- Change over the year of Monthly Expenditure per household on Main Items
[Main Items increased in real terms]
- Beds: up 71.1% in nominal terms and 70.8% in real terms
- Video game hardwares (excluding softwares): up 4.3% in nominal terms and 11.9% in real terms
- Refrigerators: up 17.7% in nominal terms and 10.4% in real terms
[Main Items decreased in real terms]
- Package tour costs (overseas): down 28.8% in nominal terms and 31.0% in real terms
- Women's one-piece dresses and suits: down 9.1% in nominal terms and 8.8% in real terms
House-related equipping/ construction/ repair costs: down 4.6% in nominal terms and 5.5% in real terms
March 22 2016
"Population Estimates" (March 2016)
- As of March 1, 2016 (Provisional estimates)
- The total population was 126.92 million, a decrease of 0.16 million (0.13 percent) from the previous year.
- As of October 2015 (Final estimates (Based on the Preliminary Count of the 2015 Population Census))
- The total population was 127,110 thousand, a decrease of 139 thousand (0.11 percent) from the previous year.
- The population aged 0 to 14 was 16,108 thousand (12.7 percent of the total population).
- The population aged 15 to 64 was 77,081 thousand (60.6 percent of the total population).
- The population aged 65 and over was 33,921 thousand (26.7 percent of the total population).
Japanese population was 125,362 thousand.
March 25 2016
Consumer Price Index (2010-base) (February 2016, Japan / March 2016, Ku-area of Tokyo (preliminary))
- The consumer price index for Japan in February 2016 was 103.2 (2010=100), up 0.1% from the previous month, and up 0.3% over the year.
The consumer price index for Ku-area of Tokyo in March 2016 (preliminary) was 102.0 (2010=100), up 0.3% from the previous month, and down 0.1% over the year.
2014 National Survey of Family Income and Expenditure (Tabulation of Family Assets)
- The total of assets (net asset value) of two-or-more-person households was 34.91 million yen. This was a decrease of 0.97 million (2.7%) from 2009. Looking at the total of assets by type of assets, "Financial assets" and "Estimated value of durable goods" increased, and "Residential land" and "Houses" decreased.
- The distribution of households in two-or-more-person households showed that the households with total assets less than the average accounted for more than 60%.
- Looking at the total of assets of two-or-more-person households by age group of the household heads, those in their 60s were higher than those in any other age group.
Looking at the total of assets of two-or-more-person households by prefecture, those in Tokyo and Kanagawa Prefecture were high.
"Retail Price Survey" (February 2016, Main Cities (March 2016, Ku-area of Tokyo))
March 28 2016
"Monthly Report on Internal Migration in Japan" (February 2016)
- The number of internal migrants (All nationalities) was 374,679, an increase of 24,621 (7.0%) from the previous year.
- The number of inter-prefectural migrants (All nationalities) was 160,300, an increase of 13,816 (9.4%) from the previous year.
- The number of intra-prefectural migrants (All nationalities) was 214,379, an increase of 10,805 (5.3%) from the previous year.
- The number of internal migrants (Japanese) was 349,324, an increase of 21,774 (6.6%) from the previous year.
- The number of inter-prefectural migrants (Japanese) was 147,946, an increase of 12,415 (9.2%) from the previous year.
The number of intra-prefectural migrants (Japanese) was 201,378, an increase of 9,359 (4.9%) from the previous year.
March 29 2016
Family Income and Expenditure Survey (Two-or-more-person Households: February 2016)
Expenditures for Two-or-more-person Households
The average of monthly consumption expenditures per household for February 2016 was 269,774 yen, up 1.6% in nominal terms and up 1.2% in real terms from the previous year.
Income and Expenditures for Workers' Households
The average of monthly income per household stood at 478,624 yen, down 2.0% in nominal terms and down 2.4% in real terms from the previous year.
The average of consumption expenditures per household was 297,662 yen, up 2.2% in nominal terms and up 1.8% in real terms from the previous year.
"Labour Force Survey (Basic Tabulation)" (February 2016)
- The number of employed persons in February 2016 was 63.51 million, an increase of 290 thousand or 0.5% from the previous year.
- The number of unemployed persons in February 2016 was 2.13 million, a decrease of 130 thousand or 5.8% from the previous year.
The unemployment rate, seasonally adjusted, was 3.3%.
March 31 2016
"Monthly Survey on Service Industries" (January 2016 (preliminary))
- Monthly sales: 26.9 trillion yen, up 1.0% over the year.
- Demand Situation DI: -3.4 over the year.
- Number of persons working at the Location of Establishment: 28.62 million persons, up 0.8% over the year.
"Annual Survey on Service Industries" (2015 (preliminary))
- Annual Sales (2014): 286.7 trillion yen, having increased for two consecutive years (up 1.6% over the year).
- Annual Sales per Person Working at the Location of Establishment (2014): 10,980 thousand yen, having increased for two consecutive years (up 1.5% over the year).
WHAT' S NEW IN SBJ WEBSITE
- April 1: "JAPAN STATISTICAL YEARBOOK Full text" (2012-2016)