Main contents start here
News Bulletin January 18, 2016
January 18, 2016
The Statistics Bureau of Japan (SBJ) published the 65th Japan Statistical Yearbook 2016
The Japan Statistical Yearbook is the comprehensive and systematic summary of basic statistical information of Japan covering wide-ranging fields such as Land, Population, Economy, Society, Culture, and so on.
The yearbook covers all fields of statistics published by the government and private organisations. This volume contains 30 fields, 743 tables and 42 figures, including explanations of data sources and survey method of each statistic.
At the beginning of each chapter, a general description is presented on contents of the chapter, objects and methods of surveys, definition of terms and source of data.
For this edition, to provide statistics that pertinently meet the changes in socio-economic conditions, the contents were reorganised into six parts.
There are English translations in the statistical tables of the Yearbook, so it is useful to introduce information on Japan.
World Statistics Day Forum 2015
On 4th December 2015, the Ministry of Internal Affairs and Communication (MIC) organized the World Statistics Day Forum 2015 in cooperation with the United Nations Statistical Institute for Asia and the Pacific (UNSIAP) supported by the United Nations Information Centre (UNIC). The objective of this Forum was to disseminate the importance of official statistics and consider ideal approaches for the statistical community under the theme of "Statistics for all, with all" in line with the June 2015 United Nations General Assembly resolution officially designating 20th October 2015 as the second World Statistics Day.
Invited to the Forum were staff members of statistical organizations in Japan, the chief statisticians of National Statistics Organizations in east Asian countries and the people involved in the field of official statistics in Japan and other countries..
At the beginning of the Forum, Mr. Atsushi Koga, Parliamentary Vice-Minister for MIC, made the opening remarks as the organizer of the Forum. Then the keynote speeches were given by Mr. Stefan Schweinfest, Director of the United Nations Statistical Division and Mr. Kiyohiko Nishimura, Chair of the Statistics Commission, Cabinet Office, followed by the report given by Mr. Osamu Taya, Director-General for Policy Planning on Statistical Standards, MIC.
In the latter half of the Forum, a panel discussion entitled "Aiming for Statistics for all, with all - From an international and domestic perspective" was coordinated by Prof. Shigeru Kawasaki, Nihon University (former Chairman of IAOS). On behalf of Statistics Bureau of Japan (SBJ), Mr. Masato Chino, Director-General of the Statistical Survey Department joined the Panel and gave a presentation on "Challenges of national Statistics Office in the ICT Revolution" as one of the panelists.
The presentations and discussions made during the Forum were relevant to the Forum, commemorating World Statistics Day, and the forum ended successfully. At the closing of the Forum, Mr. Takayuki Sasajima, Vice-Minister for Policy Coordination, MIC, made the closing remarks.
The following people visited SBJ to learn about the statistical works in Japan, respectively:
2 statistical officials from National Statistical Office of Mongolia (December 15,17, and 18)
6 statistical officials of the participants in the "7th International Workshop on Analysis of Micro Data of Official Statistics" (December 17)
December 11 2015
"Survey of Household Economy" (Items Related to Expenditure)(October 2015)
- Summary Results of the October 2015 (final) Survey of Household Economy (Items Related to Expenditure) (Two-or-more-person households)
- Change over the year of Monthly Expenditure per household on Main Items
[Main Items increased in real terms]
- Mobile telephones unit prices (cell phone, PHS): up 70.9% in nominal terms and 61.4% in real terms
- Refrigerators: up 16.4% in nominal terms and 17.3% in real terms
- Washing machines: up 24.2% in nominal terms and 9.6% in real terms
- Airplane fares: up 9.0% in nominal terms and 6.1% in real terms
[Main Items decreased in real terms]
- Package tour costs (overseas): down 38.1% in nominal terms and 37.1% in real terms
- TV: up 0.3% in nominal terms and down 16.7% in real terms
- Package tour costs (domestic): down 18.5% in nominal terms and 16.6% in real terms
Automobiles (new): down 5.1% in nominal terms and 5.7% in real terms
December 15 2015
Results of the Survey of Research and Development (2015)
- R&D Expenditure
Japan's total expenditure on R&D during fiscal year (FY) 2014 stood at 18.97 trillion yen, a 4.6 percent increase from the previous fiscal year. It achieved its highest figure, having increased for two consecutive years.
Expenditure on R&D as a percentage of GDP was 3.87 percent, a 0.12 point percent increase from the previous fiscal year.
- R&D Personnel
As of 31 March 2015, the number of researchers was 866,900, a 3.0 percent increase from the previous year. It has increased over the past two years.
The number of female researchers (Head Count) was 136,200 and accounts for 14.7 percent of the total researchers, both of which reached their highest numbers in recent years.
- Technology Balance of Payments
With regard to technology balance of payments by business enterprises, receipts from technology exports stood at 3.66 trillion yen, an increase of 7.8 percent from the previous fiscal year. It achieved its highest figure, having increased for three consecutive years.
December 21 2015
"Population Estimates" (December 2015)
- As of December 1, 2015 (Provisional estimates)
- The total population was 126.88 million, a decrease of 0.18 million (0.15%) from the previous year.
- As of July 1, 2015 (Final estimates)
- The total population was 126,958 thousand, a decrease of 173 thousand (0.14%) from the previous year.
- The population aged 0 to 14 was 16,144 thousand, a decrease of 140 thousand (0.86%) from the previous year.
- The population aged 15 to 64 was 77,159 thousand, a decrease of 967 thousand (1.24%) from the previous year.
- The population aged 65 and over was 33,656 thousand, an increase of 934 thousand (2.85%) from the previous year.
Japanese population was 125,234 thousand, a decrease of 265 thousand (0.21%) from the previous year.
December 24 2015
"Monthly Report on Internal Migration in Japan" (November 2015)
- The number of internal migrants (All nationalities) was 337,321, an increase of 32,542(10.7%) from the previous year.
- The number of inter-prefectural migrants (All nationalities) was 138,179, an increase of 14,449 (11.7%) from the previous year.
- The number of intra-prefectural migrants (All nationalities) was 199,142, an increase of 18,093 (10.0%) from the previous year.
- The number of internal migrants (Japanese) was 312,026, an increase of 28,302 (10.0%) from the previous year.
- The number of inter-prefectural migrants (Japanese) was 126,218, an increase of 12,763 (11.2%) from the previous year.
The number of intra-prefectural migrants (Japanese) was 185,808, an increase of 15,539 (9.1%) from the previous year.
December 25 2015
"Retail Price Survey" (October 2015, Main Cities (November 2015, Ku-area of Tokyo))
Family Income and Expenditure Survey (Two-or-more-person Households: November 2015)
Expenditures for Two-or-more-person Households
The average of monthly consumption expenditures per household for November 2015 was 273,268 yen, down 2.5% in nominal terms and down 2.9% in real terms from the previous year.
Income and Expenditures for Workers' Households
The average of monthly income per household stood at 425,692 yen, down 1.4% in nominal terms and down 1.8% in real terms from the previous year.
The average of consumption expenditures per household was 294,905 yen, down 3.7% in nominal terms and down 4.1% in real terms from the previous year.
Consumer Price Index (2010-base) (November 2015, Japan / December 2015, Ku-area of Tokyo (preliminary))
- The consumer price index for Japan in November 2015 was 103.5 (2010=100), down 0.3% from the previous month, and up 0.3% over the year.
The consumer price index for Ku-area of Tokyo in December 2015 (preliminary) was 101.9 (2010=100), the same level as the previous month, and the same level as the previous year.
Consumer Price Index (2010-base) (2015 Yearly Average, Ku-area of Tokyo (preliminary))
- The consumer price index for Ku-area of Tokyo in 2015 (preliminary) was 102.1 (2010=100), up 0.7% over the year.
"Labour Force Survey (Basic Tabulation)" (November 2015)
- The number of employed persons in November 2015 was 63.79 million, an increase of 80 thousand or 0.1% from the previous year.
- The number of unemployed persons in November 2015 was 2.09 million, a decrease of 100 thousand or 4.6% from the previous year.
The unemployment rate, seasonally adjusted, was 3.3%.
December 28 2015
"Monthly Survey on Service Industries" (October 2015(preliminary))
- Monthly sales: 28.5 trillion yen, up 2.6% over the year.
- Demand Situation DI: 2.8 over the year.
- Number of persons working at the Location of Establishment: 28.67 million persons, up 0.9% over the year.