Main contents start here
News Bulletin September 14, 2015
September 14, 2015
The Statistics Bureau of Japan (SBJ) is to conduct the Population Census 2015
The population census is conducted once every five years in Japan in accordance with the Statistics Act, in order to provide a clear picture of the population and demographics of Japan. This time, the Population Census 2015 is conducted as of 0:00 a.m., October 1st, 2015, and all households and people (including non-Japanese) living in Japan as of October 1st, 2015 are counted in the census.
In order to ensure the accuracy and efficiency of the statistics produced, reduce the hassles of filling in forms and increase overall convenience, an online census is to be conducted. More than 10 million households are expected to go online to take part in the census, which makes it one of the largest online undertakings in the world.
In order to encourage people to take part in the census online, a time period will be set aside in which people can provide their census answers online before paper census forms are distributed. The online participation period is from September 10th to 20th, 2015. After this, paper census forms will be delivered to only those households which have not already participated online. This will make the census process more streamlined and efficient.
For more details, please visit: http://kokusei2015.stat.go.jp/en/.
- Sep. 10th -12th
Households will be provided with an online user ID
- Sep. 10th -20th (Online Survey Prioritization)
Online Participation via PC, tablet or smartphone
- Sep. 26th -30th
Paper census forms will be delivered only to households who have not participated online
- Oct. 1st -7th
Forms will be collected by census taker or submitted by post
The preliminary results of the census are scheduled to be released in February 2016 followed by detailed results by the end of October 2016.
August 20 2015
"Population Estimates" (August 2015)
- As of August 1, 2015 (Provisional estimates)
- The total population was 126.89 million, a decrease of 0.23 million (0.18%) from the previous year.
- As of March 1, 2015 (Final estimates)
- The total population was 126,896 thousand, a decrease of 240 thousand (0.19%) from the previous year.
- The population aged 0 to 14 was 16,173 thousand, a decrease of 157 thousand (0.96%) from the previous year.
- The population aged 15 to 64 was 77,313 thousand, a decrease of 1,114 thousand (1.42%) from the previous year.
- The population aged 65 and over was 33,410 thousand, an increase of 1,031 thousand (3.18%) from the previous year.
Japanese population was 125,285 thousand, a decrease of 279 thousand (0.22%) from the previous year.
August 21 2015
Unincorporated Enterprise Survey (Trend survey) (April to June 2015)
- The sales per establishment for April-June 2015 increased by 15.7% in "Manufacturing" and 9.7% in "Services", and decreased by 6.3% in "Wholesale and retail trade" and 0.3% in "Accommodations and food services", respectively over the previous year (corresponding period).
- The net operating profit per establishment for April-June 2015 increased by 9.8% in "Manufacturing" and 2.9% in "Services", and decreased by 0.7% in "Wholesale and retail trade" and 9.2% in "Accommodations and food services", respectively over the previous year (corresponding period).
August 27 2015
"Monthly Report on Internal Migration in Japan" (July 2015)
- The number of internal migrants (All nationalities) was 384,787, an increase of 3,621(0.9%) from the previous year.
- The number of inter-prefectural migrants (All nationalities) was 170,651, an increase of 429 (0.3%) from the previous year.
- The number of intra-prefectural migrants (All nationalities) was 214,136, an increase of 3,192 (1.5%) from the previous year.
- The number of internal migrants (Japanese) was 357,336, an increase of 690 (0.2%) from the previous year.
- The number of inter-prefectural migrants (Japanese) was 157,657, a decrease of 738 (0.5%) from the previous year.
The number of intra-prefectural migrants (Japanese) was 199,679, an increase of 1,428 (0.7%) from the previous year.
August 28 2015
"Labour Force Survey(Basic Tabulation)" (July 2015)
- The number of employed persons in July 2015 was 63.81 million, an increase of 240 thousand or 0.4% from the previous year.
- The number of unemployed persons in July 2015 was 2.22 million, a decrease of 260 thousand or 10.5% from the previous year.
The unemployment rate, seasonally adjusted, was 3.3%.
Consumer Price Index (2010-base) (July 2015, Japan / August 2015, Ku-area of Tokyo (preliminary))
- The consumer price index for Japan in July 2015 was 103.7 (2010=100), down 0.1% from the previous month, and up 0.2% over the year.
The consumer price index for Ku-area of Tokyo in August 2015 (preliminary) was 102.1 (2010=100), up 0.2% from the previous month, and up 0.1% over the year.
Family Income and Expenditure Survey (Two-or-more-person Households : July 2015)
Expenditures for Two-or-more-person Households
The average of monthly consumption expenditures per household for July 2015 was 280,471 yen, up 0.1% in nominal terms but down 0.2% in real terms from the previous year.
Income and Expenditures for Workers' Households
The average of monthly income per household stood at 587,156 yen, up 5.7% in nominal terms and up 5.4% in real terms from the previous year.
The average of consumption expenditures per household was 314,788 yen, up 1.0% in nominal terms and up 0.7% in real terms from the previous year.
"Retail Price Survey" (July 2015, Main Cities (August 2015, Ku-area of Tokyo))
August 31 2015
"Monthly Survey on Service Industries" June 2015 (preliminary)
- Monthly sales: 28.8 trillion yen, up 2.5% over the year
- Demand Situation DI: 0.8 over the year
- Number of persons working at the Location of Establishment: 28.64 million persons, up 0.7% over the year
WHAT' S NEW IN SBJ WEBSITE
- September 10: Statistical Handbook of Japan 2015