Main contents start here
News Bulletin June 25, 2015
June 25, 2015
The Statistics Bureau of Japan (SBJ) hosted the 14th meeting of the Ottawa Group on Price Indices
From May 20 to 22, the SBJ hosted the 14th meeting of the Ottawa Group on Price Indices in Urayasu city, Japan.
The meeting started with an opening address by Mr. Satohisa Inami, Director-General of the SBJ, followed by lively discussions among the participants in relation to price indices. The topics of the 14th meeting were "Alternate data sources and Index number formulas", "Compiling Property Price Indexes", "Price statistics that meet multiple user needs", "Quality adjustment", "Pricing seasonal products", and "Other topics".
This is the first time the meeting of the Ottawa Group was held in the Asian region. More than 60 people attended the meeting, and they enjoyed communication with each other with respect not only to price indices but also to other various topics on statistics. During the meeting, friendly relationships were born among the participants and the meeting was concluded successfully.
SBJ started a Campaign commemorating World Statistics Day 2015
On June 3rd, 2015, the United Nations General Assembly resolution was adopted, which designates October 20th, 2015, as the second World Statistics Day. In addition, it was also decided that World Statistics Day will be celebrated on October 20th every 5 years.
The SBJ has made a mug displaying the logo of World Statistics Day 2015 and the SBJ, and the mascots (named "Census-kun" and "Mirai-chan" respectively) of Japan's Population Census which will be conducted in October 2015, and started the public relations activity for World Statistics Day, etc.
With a picture of the mug, this activity is introduced on the following website, as a pioneer in the campaign for World Statistics Day 2015.
On June 3, 23 statistical officials of the participants in the "Second Group Training Course in Production and Statistical Analysis of Monitoring Indicators in Support of Inclusive Development Policies" of the United Nations Statistical Institute for Asia and the Pacific (SIAP), visited the SBJ to learn about the statistical works in Japan.
May 29 2015
Labour Force Survey(Basic Tabulation:April 2015)
- The number of employed persons in April 2015 was 63.42 million, an increase of 40 thousand or 0.1% from the previous year.
- The number of unemployed persons in April 2015 was 2.34 million, a decrease of 200 thousand or 7.9% from the previous year.
- The unemployment rate, seasonally adjusted, was 3.3%.
Family Income and Expenditure Survey (Two-or-more-person Households : April 2015)
Expenditures for Two-or-more-person Households
The average of monthly consumption expenditures per household for April 2015 was 300,480 yen, down 0.5% in nominal terms and down 1.3% in real terms from the previous year.
Income and Expenditures for Workers' Households
The average of monthly income per household stood at 476,880 yen, up 2.8% in nominal terms and up 2.0% in real terms from the previous year.
The average of consumption expenditures per household was 334,301 yen, up 1.3% in nominal terms and up 0.5% in real terms from the previous year.
Consumer Price Index (2010-base) (April 2015, Japan / May 2015, Ku-area of Tokyo (preliminary))
- The consumer price index for Japan in April 2015 was 103.7 (2010=100), up 0.4% from the previous month, and up 0.6% over the year.
- The consumer price index for Ku-area of Tokyo in May 2015 (preliminary) was 102.5 (2010=100), up 0.1% from the previous month, and up 0.5% over the year.
WHAT' S NEW IN SBJ WEBSITE
- May 29: "Monthly Survey on Service Industries" (March 2015(preliminary), Jan.-Mar.2015(preliminary), December 2014(final), Oct.-Dec.2014(final))
- May 29: Annual Report on the Labour Force Survey 2014
- May 29: "Retail Price Survey" (April 2015, Main Cities (May 2015, Ku-area of Tokyo)) http://www.stat.go.jp/english/data/kouri/doukou/15i2.htm
- May 28: "Report on Internal Migration in Japan" (April 2015)
- May 26: Unincorporated Enterprise Survey(Trend survey) The First quarter of 2015(2015.1-3)
- May 26: Unincorporated Enterprise Survey(Trend survey) 2014 Fiscal Yearly http://www.stat.go.jp/english/data/kojinke/2014d/index.htm
- May 20: "Population Estimates" (May 2015)
- May 19: Family Income and Expenditure Survey (Savings and Liabilities) (2014 Yearly Average)
- May 19: Family Income and Expenditure Survey (Savings and Liabilities) (The fourth quarter of 2014))
- May 19: Family Income and Expenditure Survey (Total Households)(The first quarter of 2015) http://www.stat.go.jp/english/data/sousetai/2.htm
- May 19: Family Income and Expenditure Survey (One-person Households)(The first quarter of 2015)
- May 19: "Survey of Household Economy" (Items Related to Expenditure)(March 2015, January 2015-March 2015 and 2014 Fiscal Yearly Average), (Items Related to Information and Communication Technology (ICT))(January 2015-March 2015)