Main contents start here
News Bulletin November 27, 2014
November 27, 2014
The SBJ hosted the 27th Population Census Conference in Tokyo
From November 5 to 7, the SBJ hosted the 27th Population Census Conference in Tokyo, Japan. The Conference was sponsored by the Association of National Census and Statistics Directors of America, Asia and the Pacific (ANCSDAAP), in collaboration with Statistics Korea (KOSTAT).
The theme of the Conference was "Evaluation on 2010 Round Census and Planning for Next Round Census". Around 60 statisticians from 22 countries and international organizations, etc. attended the conference.
The Conference started with an opening address by Mr. Yoji Muto, Parliamentary Vice-Minister for Internal Affairs and Communications of Japan, followed by the speeches of Mr. Frank Vitrano, President of the ANCSDAAP, and Mr. Bongho Choi, Secretary of the ANCSDAAP.
During the conference, which consisted of 8 sessions, lively discussions were made among the participants in relation to the experiences of 2010 round censuses and future plans for 2020 round censuses. The participants also enjoyed communication with each other with respect not only to census taking but also to other various topics on statistics during the conference, and friendly relationships were born.
Based on the discussion at the meeting of the Board of Directors of the ANCSDAAP, which was held during the Conference, it was decided that the next Population Census Conference will be held at the Minnesota Population Center in Minneapolis, Minnesota, United States in 2016.http://www.stat.go.jp/english/info/meetings/census27.htm
IAOS 2014 Conference on Official Statistics
The International Association for Official Statistics (IAOS) 2014 Conference on Official Statistics was held from October 8 to 10, 2014 in Da Nang, Vietnam. The IAOS was established in 1985 in order to promote understanding and advancement of official statistics etc., and holds its conference every 2 years. The theme of this year is "Meeting the demands of a changing world." The Japanese participants made presentations at the conference, for example, under the title of "Statistical and Geospatial Information in Japan."
On October 15, 18 statistical officials from the 2nd Group Training Course in Improving Capability in Producing Official Statistics Relating to MDGs Indicators of the United Nations Statistical Institute for Asia and the Pacific (SIAP) visited the Statistics Bureau of Japan and the Statistical Museum to learn about the statistical works in Japan such as the outline of the SBJ.
October 31, 2014
Labour Force Survey (Basic Tabulation: September 2014)
- The number of employed persons in September 2014 was 64.02 million, an increase of 430 thousand or 0.7% from the previous year.
- The number of unemployed persons in September 2014 was 2.33 million, a decrease of 250 thousand or 9.7% from the previous year.
The unemployment rate, seasonally adjusted, was 3.6%.
Family Income and Expenditure Survey (September 2014)
Expenditures for Two-or-more-person Households
The average of monthly consumption expenditures per household for September 2014 was 275,226 yen, down 1.9% in nominal terms and down 5.6% in real terms from the previous year.
Income and Expenditures for Workers' Households
The average of monthly income per household stood at 421,809 yen, down 2.3% in nominal terms and down 6.0% in real terms from the previous year.
The average of consumption expenditures per household was 303,614 yen, down 3.7% in nominal terms and down 7.3% in real terms from the previous year.
Consumer Price Index (Japan September 2014, Ku-area of Tokyo October 2014 (preliminary))
- The consumer price index for Japan in September 2014 was 103.9 (2010=100), up 0.2% from the previous month, and up 3.2% over the year.
The consumer price index for Ku-area of Tokyo in October 2014 (preliminary) was 102.2 (2010=100), down 0.1% from the previous month, and up 2.5% over the year.
WHAT' S NEW IN SBJ WEBSITE
- November 11: "Labour Force Survey(Detailed Tabulation)" (Quarterly Average Results - Jul.-Sep. 2014 -)
- October 31: Family Income and Expenditure Survey (Savings and Liabilities) (The second quarter of 2014)
- October 31: "Labour Force Survey(Basic Tabulation)" (Quarterly Average Results -Jul.-Sep.2014 -)
- October 31: "Retail Price Survey" (September 2014, Main Cities (October 2014, Ku-area of Tokyo))
- October 30: "Monthly Survey on Service Industries" (August 2014(preliminary), May 2014(final))
- October 27: "Report on Internal Migration in Japan" (September 2014)
- October 20: "Population Estimates" (October 2014)
- October 14: "Survey of Household Economy" (Items Related to Expenditure)(August 2014)