Main contents start here
News Bulletin October 22, 2014
October 22, 2014
The Headquarters for Implementation of the 2015 Population Census has started up
On October 1, 2014, the Ministry of Internal Affairs and Communications (MIC), to which the Statistics Bureau belongs, started up the Headquarters for Implementation of the 2015 Population Census headed by Ms. Sanae Takaichi, the Minister for Internal Affairs and Communications. This Headquarters facilitates the smooth and proper implementation of the Census, and provision of accurate and useful data to the public.
In the 2015 Population Census, we will introduce a nationwide internet response system covering all households for the first time ever in Japan. The Population Census is the most important socio-economic information source and it is expected to provide indispensable statistical information for policy-making to cope especially with important issues of the Cabinet: such as regional revitalization, the declining birthrate, population aging and other issues.
The Headquarters consists of the executives of the MIC including the Minister, the Vice-ministers, and all the Director-Generals of the bureaus of the MIC. From October 1, 2014 to March 31, 2016, its main functions are as follows:
- To cope with the smooth and proper implementation of the Census,
- To ensure cooperation for the Census and to promote comprehensive publicity, and
- To quicken the release of the Census results.
The 27th Population Census Conference
The 27th Population Census Conference will be held in Tokyo, Japan, November 5-7, 2014, hosted by Statistics Bureau of Japan (SBJ), sponsored by Association of National Census and Statistics Directors of America, Asia and the Pacific (ANCSDAAP), in collaboration with the Statistics Korea (KOSTAT). The Population Census Conference was held for the first time at the East-West Center in Honolulu in 1971, and has been conducted every 1 or 2 years.
The theme of the conference is "Evaluation on 2010 Round Census and Planning for Next Round Census". This is the third time that Japan will hold the Conference, having previously done so in 1992 and in 2003. Also, around 60 people are expected to attend this year's conference from America, Asia and the Pacific regions.
September 30, 2014
Labour Force Survey (Basic Tabulation: August 2014)
- The number of employed persons in August 2014 was 63.63 million, an increase of 530 thousand or 0.8% from the previous year.
- The number of unemployed persons in August 2014 was 2.31 million, a decrease of 400 thousand or 14.8% from the previous year.
The unemployment rate, seasonally adjusted, was 3.5%.
Family Income and Expenditure Survey (Augusut 2014)
Expenditures for Two-or-more-person Households
The average of monthly consumption expenditures per household for August 2014 was 282,124 yen, down 0.9% in nominal terms and down 4.7% in real terms from the previous year.
Income and Expenditures for Workers' Households
The average of monthly income per household stood at 463,810 yen, down 1.6% in nominal terms and down 5.4% in real terms from the previous year.
The average of consumption expenditures per household was 305,836 yen, down 2.2% in nominal terms and down 6.0% in real terms from the previous year.
September 26, 2014
Consumer Price Index (Japan August 2014, Ku-area of Tokyo September 2014 (preliminary))
- The consumer price index for Japan in August 2014 was 103.6 (2010=100), up 0.2% from the previous month, and up 3.3% over the year.
The consumer price index for Ku-area of Tokyo in September 2014 (preliminary) was 102.3 (2010=100), up 0.2% from the previous month, and up 2.9% over the year.
WHAT' S NEW IN SBJ WEBSITE
- September 30:"Monthly Survey on Service Industries" (July 2014(preliminary), April 2014(final))
- September 29: "Report on Internal Migration in Japan" (August 2014)
- September 26: "Retail Price Survey" (August 2014, Main Cities (September 2014, Ku-area of Tokyo))
- September 22: "Population Estimates" (September 2014)
- September 12: Survey of Household Economy" (Items Related to Expenditure) (July 2014)
- September 10: "Statistical Handbook of Japan 2014"