Main contents start here
News Bulletin August 18, 2014
August 18, 2014
New Director-General of the Statistics Bureau
On July 22, 2014, Mr. Satohisa Inami was appointed to the Director-General of the Statistics Bureau of Japan (SBJ), succeeding Mr. Masahiko Sue.
In his career, Mr. Inami had been engaged in many statistical related activities as the Director of the Survey Planning Division of the Statistical Survey Department in the SBJ from Jan. 2003 to Jan. 2004. Furthermore, he had served as the Deputy Director-General for Statistics in the Minister's Secretariat from May 2014 to Jul. 2014.
From August 4 through August 6, Mr. Sheer Mohammad Jamizada, President General, Central Statistics Organization (CSO) of Afghanistan and 2 statistical officials from CSO visited SBJ to collect information on statistical works in Japan such as the Population Census, Geographic Information System, and Projects of Open Data.
July 29, 2014
Labour Force Survey (Basic Tabulation: June 2014)
- The number of employed persons in June 2014 was 63.89 million, an increase of 560 thousand or 0.9% from the previous year.
- The number of unemployed persons in June 2014 was 2.45 million, a decrease of 150 thousand or 5.8% from the previous year.
- The unemployment rate, seasonally adjusted, was 3.7%.
Family Income and Expenditure Survey (June 2014)
Expenditures for Two-or-more-person Households
The average of monthly consumption expenditures per household for June 2014 was 272,791 yen, up 1.3% in nominal terms but down 3.0% in real terms from the previous year.
Income and Expenditures for Workers' Households
The average of monthly income per household stood at 710,375 yen, down 2.5% in nominal terms and down 6.6% in real terms from the previous year.
The average of consumption expenditures per household was 295,738 yen, down 0.3% in nominal terms and down 4.5% in real terms from the previous year.
July 25, 2014
Consumer Price Index (Japan June 2014, Ku-area of Tokyo July 2014 (preliminary))
- The consumer price index for Japan in June 2014 was 103.4 (2010=100), down 0.1% from the previous month, and up 3.6% over the year.
- The consumer price index for Ku-area of Tokyo in July 2014 (preliminary) was 101.8 (2010=100), the same level as the previous month, and up 2.8% over the year.
WHAT' S NEW IN SBJ WEBSITE
- August 12: "Labour Force Survey(Detailed Tabulation)" (Quarterly Average Results - Apr.-Jun. 2014 -)
- August 8: Family Income and Expenditure Survey (Total Households)(The second quarter of 2014)
- August 8: Family Income and Expenditure Survey (One-person Households)(The second quarter of 2014)
- August 8: "Survey of Household Economy" (Items Related to Expenditure)(June 2014 and April 2014-June 2014), (Items Related to Information and Communication Technology (ICT))(April 2014-June 2014)
- July 29: Family Income and Expenditure Survey (Savings and Liabilities) (The First quarter of 2014)
- July 29: Monthly Survey on Service Industries" (May 2014(preliminary), February 2014(final))
- July 29:"Labour Force Survey (Basic Tabulation)" Quarterly Average Results -Apr.-Jun.2014-
- July 25: Retail Price Survey" (June 2014, Main Cities (July 2014, Ku-area of Tokyo))
- July 25: Annual Report on the Survey of Household Economy 2013