Main contents start here
Outline of the Project for Developing Statistical Quality System at CAPMAS (Central Agency for Public Mobilization and Statistics) in Egypt
The Statistics Bureau of Japan (SBJ) in combination with the Statistical Research and Training Institute (SRTI) and the National Statistics Center (NSTAC) cooperate with the Central Agency for Public Mobilization and Statistics (CAPMAS) on the "Project for Developing Statistical Quality System at CAPMAS" in Egypt.
The "Project for Developing Statistical Quality System at CAPMAS," which is one of the projects supported by the Japan International Cooperation Agency (JICA) through official development assistance (ODA), has been conducted since March 2016. The project's purpose is to strengthen the capacity of CAPMAS for effective management for the 2017 Population and Housing Census in Egypt and other statistical studies. In this project, the SBJ has not only cooperated in implementing the 2017 Population and Housing Census in Egypt but also offered training in order to build and improve the capacity of CAPMAS staff.
CAPMAS plays an important role in the implementation process of Egypt National Development Plan by producing and disseminating statistical data and information which should be helpful for policy makers to make decision and solve problems based on accurate data and information.
CAPMAS is the only governmental agency in charge of producing official statistics in all demographic, social and economic fields. Also, it is the official source in Egypt to supply the state agencies, universities, research centers and international organizations with data and statistics where many ministries, such as ministries of planning, ministry of labor and migration, ministry of trade, depend on it as a guide in implementation of national development plan. Additionally, many international organizations depend on CAPMAS data to determine the development requirements.
All these ministries and institutions depend on and use some important indicators and data produced by CAPMAS such as Household Income, Expenditure and Consumption Survey (HIECS) data, Labor force survey, Inflation rate, Price Statistics (ICP, CPI), population and establishment census data, economic census data, trade statistics, Tourism statistics ... etc.
CAPMAS started the preparation for 2017 population & housing census. In this regard, CAPMAS needs to build and improve the capacity of CAPMAS staffs especially in two important departments such as the Quality control department with capacity of 20 person (most of the young and middle age) and Sampling department with capacity of 20 person (most of them young and middle age).
- January 2015: JICA dispatched experts for the Basic Survey Mission.
- August 2015: JICA dispatched experts for the Detailed Planning Survey Mission.
- December 2015: Record of Discussions was signed between CAPMAS and the JICA Egypt Office.
- March 2016: JICA dispatched a short-term expert. (1st Dispatch of experts)
- March 2016: JICA dispatched experts for the Discussion on Project for Developing Statistical Quality System at CAPMAS
The SBJ plans to dispatch statistical experts to CAPMAS, and conduct training for CAPMAS officers at the SBJ.
Outline of the Project
- Overall Goal
Policy relevance is enhanced with improved quality of statistical studies in Egypt.
- Project Purpose
Capacity of CAPMAS to effectively manage the Census for 2017 and other statistical studies is strengthened.
(1) Statistical planning, fieldwork and data processing are implemented effectively and with high quality using necessary IT application.
(2) The capacity on sampling method is improved in quality.
(3) Accuracy check of the result of the Census 2017 data (including advice of the post-enumeration survey method and quality control) is conducted properly in accordance with the international standards.
(1) Input by JICA
The JICA experts will give necessary technical guidance, advice and recommendations to CAPMAS on any matters pertaining to the implementation of the Project.
(a)Dispatch of Experts
- Chief Advisor
- Project Coordinator
- IT (Data Processing), Post Enumeration Survey (Processing / Matching) etc.
- Local Trainings/Workshops/Seminar
- Trainings in Japan (Country-focused training/Study visit)
(d)Equipment (Tablets and Vehicles for studies)
(e) A part of the operational costs for implementing activities (Ex. Costs for experts activities)
Input other than indicated above will be determined through mutual consultations between JICA and CAPMAS during the implementation of the Project, as necessary.
Three (3) years from the date of the first arrival of a Japanese expert in Egypt