Main contents start here
2002 National Survey of Prices: Summary of Results (Bargain prices)
3 Distributions of normal prices and bargain prices
- Fresh milk has a narrow breadth of distributions in both normal prices and bargain prices in all types of outlets, and the price differences between the two prices are also small.
- For sugar, at small-scale general retail outlets, its average price for bargain prices is high, and its breadth of distribution is wide.
- For facial tissue, bargain prices at small-scale supermarkets and small-scale general retail outlets are high, but at other types of outlets there are low bargain prices up to the point of the same price.
Chart 3-1, 3-2 and 3-3 show how different the price distributions between normal prices and bargain prices are according to type of outlet, selecting the items ?fresh milk? and ?sugar? from foodstuffs and ?facial tissue? from convenience goods as surveyed items which show high bargaining rates by comparison of the 25th percentile points, the 75th percentile points and the average prices.
(1) The distributions of both normal prices and bargain prices of ?fresh milk? are narrow. They are around average prices in all types of outlets (their interquartile range is around 10 Yen to 30 Yen). The differences between the averages of the normal prices and those of the bargain prices are also small, around 30 Yen.
(2) For sugar, in terms of normal prices, the difference of average prices among the types of outlets is small, but in terms of bargain prices, this difference becomes wide since average prices in both ?large-scale supermarket? and ?small-scale supermarket? are low; however those in ?small-scale general retail outlet? are higher than these. The breadth of distribution of bargain prices applied at ?small-scale general retail outlet? is wide, and the price of the 25th percentile point is almost the same as the average price of ?large-scale supermarket? and ?small-scale supermarket?.
(3) For facial tissue, the averages of both normal prices and bargain prices tend to be high at ?small-scale supermarket? and ?small-scale general retail outlet?.
Instead, in the other types of outlets, the averages of bargain prices vary from 240 yen to 260 yen, but the 25th percentile point is also 207 yen and up to this price, the bargain prices can be fou