Main contents start here
Outline of the National Income and Expenditure Survey for one-person households
National Income and Expenditure Survey for one-person households is designed to comprehensively understand the financial situation of single households, including income and expenditure, as well as household assets such as savings and liabilities, consumer durables, and housing and residential land. National Income and Expenditure Survey for one-person households has been conducted for the purpose of investigating one-person income and expenditure, status of major durable goods, and the dwelling house and land owned, and the total amount of savings and liabilities, thus identifying overall family budget structure and its regional differences from the point of view of income, consumption and assets. The aim is to clarify the standards, structure and distribution of consumption, income and assets, and to complement the results of the National Survey of Family Income and Expenditure 2009.
The survey is undertaken as a general statistical survey in Statistics Act (Act No.53, 2007).
The survey targeted about 1,600 one-person households aged under 60 in Japan, which were selected from survey participant households recruited and managed as registered monitors by a contracted private research agency, based on the regional allocations of surveyed households designated by the Statistics Bureau of the Ministry of Internal Affairs and Communications (see the attachment (PDF: 68KB)) .
The following items were surveyed using the questionnaire forms.
Income was asked only for workers households and households
- (1) Items related to household income and expenditures
- (2) Items related to region for purchasing goods
- (3) Items related to type of outlets for purchasing goods
- (4) Items related to major durable goods
- (5) Items related to yearly income
- (6) Items related to balance of savings and liabilities
- (7) Items related to households
- (8) Items related to housing and housing lots other than the present residence
The survey was carried out for the period of two months from October to November 2009.
The survey is entrusted to a private survey agency. Enumerators (survey takers) will leave questionnaires with target households.
(1) Tabulation items
The tabulation items are shown below.
- a. Items related to income and expenditures
- b. Items related to expenditures on commodities
- c. Items related to places of purchasing, purchase region
- d. Items related to major durable goods
- e. Items related to yearly income
- f. Items related to savings and liabilities
- g. Items related to housing and housing lots other than the present residence
- h. Items related to distribution of households
(2) Tabulation method
Completed Questionnaires were processed at the National Statistics Center by electric computers.
- Household Questionnaire (PDF:254KB)
- Household Account Book A (October) (PDF:277KB) and Household Account Book B (November) (PDF:284KB)
- Durable Goods Questionnaire (PDF:90KB)
- Yearly Income and Savings Questionnaire (PDF:72KB)
Some of the publications on this site are in PDF. To view them you will need to have Adove Acroabt Reader. Please click the graphic link to download Acrobat Reader.