Main contents start here
Current Population Estimates as of October 1, 2006
is "Portal Site of Official Statistics of Japan" (external site) where you can browse statistics tables and database.
1 Population for Japan
- Total population was 127,770 thousand, and has increased by 2 thousand this past year. The rate of increase was 0.00 percent. Both population increase and the rate were broadly flat.
- Male was 62,330 thousand and female was 65,440 thousand. Male was decreasing for two years.
- The natural increase was even, and the social increase was 1 thousand.
[Population by Age Group]
- The population aged 0 to 14 (Child population) was 17,435 thousand (13.6 percent of the total population; decreasing of 0.2 point from the previous year).
- The population aged 15 to 64 (Productive-age population) was 83,731 thousand (65.5 percent of the total population; decreasing of 0.6 point from the previous year).
- The population aged 65 and over (Aged population) was 26,604 thousand (20.8 percent, the record-high rate, of the total population; increasing of 0.6 point from the previous year).
- The population aged 90 and over was 1,155 thousand (0.9 percent of the total population), and has increased by 74 thousand this past year. The population aged 100 and over was 29 thousand and has increased by 3 thousand this past year.
2 Population for Prefectures
[Population by Prefectures]
- Top five prefectures were Tokyo-to, Kanagawa-ken, Osaka-fu, Aichi-ken and Saitama-ken. These prefectures made up about 35 percent of the total population.
[Rates of Population Change]
- Aichi-ken had the highest rate of increase in population. Population increased in 10 prefectures, of which 8 prefectures were the natural increase and the social increase.
- A decrease in population was seen in 37 prefectures. Among population decreased prefectures, 34 prefectures were the natural decrease and the social decrease.
[Population by Age Group]
- The percentage of the Child population was highest in Okinawa-ken and lowest in Tokyo-to.
- The percentage of the Productive-age population was highest in Tokyo-to and lowest in Shimane-ken.
- The percentage of the Aged population was highest in Shimane-ken and lowest in Okinawa-ken. This group has risen in all prefectures.
- Okinawa-ken is the only prefecture where the Child population exceeded the Aged population.
- The increase rate of the Aged population was highest in Saitama-ken (5.6 percent). And there is a tendency that the lower the percentage of the Aged population in prefectures, the larger the increase rate of the one become.