Main contents start here
Outline of the 2016 Economic Census for Business Activity
Objectives of the Census
The objectives of the Economic Census for Business Activity are, by investigating the economic activity of establishments and enterprises, to identify the structure of establishments and enterprises in all industries on a national and regional level, and to obtain basic information for conducting various statistical surveys.
Expected outcomes of the Census
Collect and prepare Primary statistics, which cover all industries, to provide as basic materials in preparing Input-Output Tables, and National Accounts, etc.
Collect and prepare statistical data on the service industries, for which there are currently insufficient data available and the existing data have not yet been systematically arranged.
- Arrange population information for various statistical surveys of establishments or enterprises, such as extraction conditions for sample surveys, benchmark data used to restore the population, and so on.
- Arrange statistical data and population information, to reflect diversifying business activities in all industries.
- Prepare primary statistics on regional economic activities as basic materials to determine a regional policy that finely suits the realities of each region.
- Prepare basic materials to determine administrative policies, such as settlements of local consumption taxes, distribution of subsidies to help small and medium enterprises, and others.
Legal basis of the Census
The Census was carried out as a fundamental statistical survey, in conformity with the provisions of the Statistics Act (Act No. 53 of 2007).
Coverage of the Survey
The Census covered all establishments and enterprises in Japan as of the date of the Census except the following:
- Establishments of national and local public entities
- Establishments of individual proprietorships that fall under Division A "agriculture and forestry" of Japan Standard Industrial Classification.
- Establishments of individual proprietorships that fall under Division B "fisheries" of Japan Standard Industrial Classification.
- Establishments that fall under Group 792 "domestic services" in Division N "living-related and personal services, and amusement services" of Japan Standard Industrial Classification.
- Establishments that fall under Major Group 96 "foreign governments and international agencies in Japan" in Division R "services, n.e.c." of Japan Standard Industrial Classification.
Date of the Census
The Census is taken as of June 1st, 2016.
Methods of the Census
There are two types of surveys: "survey by enumerator" and "survey by direct mailing."
Survey by enumerator
To single-unit establishments, an enumerator visited each establishment, distribute a Questionnaire, and collected them after they were filled in or the Internet.
- Minister for Internal Affairs and Communications, and Minister for Economy, Trade and Industry -- Prefectural Governors -- Municipal Mayors -- Supervisors -- Enumerators -- Establishments surveyed
Survey by direct mailing
To enterprises having head and branch offices, the relevant authorities mailed Questionnaires directly, and had them sent back (either printed or electronic Questionnaires) by mail or the Internet.
- Minister for Internal Affairs and Communications, and Minister for Economy, Trade and Industry -- -- Establishments surveyed
- Minister for Internal Affairs and Communications, and Minister for Economy, Trade and Industry -- Prefectural Governors -- Establishments surveyed
- Minister for Internal Affairs and Communications and Minister for Economy, Trade and Industry -- Prefectural Governors -- Mayors -- Establishments surveyed
The Census surveyed following items by each questionnaire.
- Name and telephone number
- Presence or absence of relocation and name change
- Startup date
- Legal organization
- Type of cooperative
- Type of school, etc.
- Type of political, business, and cultural organization and religious organization
- Distinction of single-unit/head/branch, name and location of main office
- Head office/other
- Number of branch offices
- Business activity
- Type of establishment
- Type of management/subsidiary work
- Number of persons engaged
- Presence or absence of and proportion of electronic commerce
- Presence or absence of a capital investment and its acquisition value
- Number of privately owned vehicles
- Presence or absence of owned land and/or building
- Capital and ratio of foreign equity
- Account closing month
- Sales(income)/ordinary revenue
- Name of goods, sector with the highest sales, presence or absence of commission or repair fees
- Ratio of transfer of goods between head office and branch office
- Annual sales for goods rental and lease in the goods rental and leasing industry
- Proportion of income by trading partner
- Amount of contract and amount paid for lease contract
- Tangible fixed assets
- Production volume and sales
- Value of stored products
- Values of semi-processed products and works-in-progress, and value of raw materials and fuel
- Volume of manufactured goods shipments, value of manufactured goods shipments, name of products, volume of manufactured goods inventory
- Receipts for production done for others, product name of contract manufacturing, other revenue
- Total amount of liquor tax, cigarette tax, gasoline tax, and local gasoline tax
- Proportion of direct exportation value
- Main raw materials
- Industrial site and water
- Working process
- Value of commodity stock
- Proportion of retail sales of each product group
- Proportions of retail sales of each type of sales
- Adoption of self-service system
- Sales floor space
- Business hours
- Type of facility or store
- Participation in a chain store organization
- Type of construction for each type of management
- Capacity and number of guest rooms for accommodation services
- Number of cases, releases, visitors, users and students
- Proportion of contracts with peers
- Presence or absence of credit business and/or mutual aid activities
- Inclusion of Consumption Tax
Use of the Census results
- Use compliant with various laws and decrees
As basic data employed in settlements of local consumption taxes
- Use in administrative policies
As basic materials to determine policies of economy, environmental protection, employment, small businesses, etc.
- Use by local government
As basic materials to determine policies to promote industries, regulate traffic, instruct business administration, and so on.
- Use for economic indices
As basic materials used for obtaining GDP and other economic indices.
- Use by private businesses and organizations
As basic materials to consider in making business plans, decisions to launch a new store, etc.